Pieve di Santa Restituta - Angelo Gaja

The Gaja family has been based in Piedmont since the mid-17th century. The winery in Barbaresco was founded in 1859 by Giovanni Gaja, the great-grandfather of the current owner, Angelo Gaja. Angelo was also the name of the founder's son, who married the legendary Clotilde Rey in 1905. Together, the two of them laid the foundation for the quality philosophy that has characterized the company to this day.

The third generation was represented by Giovanni Gaja, the son of Angelo and Clotilde, who died in November 2002. He made the Barbaresco his flagship and achieved a top position on the national market with this wine. He increased the vineyard property by buying the Sorì San Lorenzo, Sorì Tildìn, Costa Russi and Darmagi sites and created the basis for further qualitative progress with the expansion of the cellar.

In 1994 Angelo Gaja acquired his first Tuscan winery, Pieve Santa Restituta in Montalcino. Two Brunello di Montalcino are produced on 16 hectares of their own vineyards, Rennina and Sugarille.

The medieval and romantic town of Montalcino is surrounded by hills and dense forests. The specific climate and the soil of this particular altitude are the ideal home for the Brunello di Montalcino from the Sangiovese grape. There are parallels between the two most important native grape varieties in Italy, the Sangiovese of Tuscany and the Nebbiolo of Piedmont: for more than 150 years, the wines made from them (Brunello, Barbaresco and Barolo) have been at the top in terms of character, aging potential and prestige the wine world of Italy. The church (= Tuscan. “Pieve”) S. Restituta stands on the property and gives the winery its name. There is evidence that viticulture has been practiced here since the 12th century. Pieve S. Restituta produces two Brunello di Montalcino: Rennina and Sugarille.

PIEVE SANTA RESTITUTA
Loc. Chiesa di Santa Restituta
53024 Montalcino (SI)
1 to 6 (from a total of 6)